Most people looking for orthodontics in Raleigh have one thing in mind – their appearance. We certainly consider that to be important, and we enjoy helping any patient improve his or her smile. What many people don’t realize, though, is that there are other reasons that we might recommend orthodontics services for you or a member of your family. Addressing some of these issues can sometimes be an added benefit of using braces or aligners (such as Invisalign “invisible braces”) to enhance your smile.
Among the other (non-cosmetic) reasons that we might suggest braces for you or a family member are:
- To improve the function of your teeth. We can help you overcome difficulty with biting or chewing.
- To increase your confidence. Childhood peer pressure can be tough. So can adult self-perceptions. Some misalignments may result in minor or significant speech impediments.
- To make daily tooth cleaning easier. This lets you maintain better long-term oral health.
- To improve your tooth and gum health, in general.
- To reduce wear patterns on specific teeth. When enamel wears off, decay is far more likely to occur.
- To reduce possible injury to front teeth that protrude. This is especially important for those who engage in sports activities.
- To help guide your child’s permanent teeth into better positions as they emerge.
One advantage of going to a practice like ours (comprehensive dentistry) is to have us monitor conditions and advise when orthodontics (or some other type of service) are needed to maintain good oral health – to help you avoid costly future tooth loss and replacement. Conditions that aren’t always cosmetically obvious include bite issues (overlap, underlap, cross bite); uneven wear on teeth; jaw shifts when biting that can cause head or neck pain; and spaces between back teeth large enough to cause problems. You may have been born with these conditions, which can become more serious with age, or a new condition can develop over time.
Don’t try to assess your own needs – that’s our job! We’re a leading practice for general dentistry and provider of orthodontics in Raleigh, NC – just one component of our full range of comprehensive dentistry and cosmetic dentistry services. Our goal is to save your teeth, in addition to giving you the smile of your dreams.